So you have good intentions of sticking to your New Years resolutions and then by day 3 or 2 weeks in or even 3 months, you start getting bored with it and you want to stop eating healthy and stop exercising! Here are some ways to help make those resolutions stick:
- Set Realistic Short Term Goals
- Plan Ahead
- Stick to the Plan
- Schedule in Exercise
- Get Adequate Sleep
- Stay Hydrated
- One Change at a Time
Change is never easy. But by making some small changes today, and building to larger ones down the road, you can realize your goals. Remember — no matter HOW you start, don’t be afraid TO start!
Are you looking to make 2017 a healthier year for you? For your family? Here are 6 ways to make those changes:
- Make healthy food choices. Grab a health snack on the go. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Be active. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park farther away and walk.
- Protect yourself. Put a helmet, sunscreen or bug spray. And make sure you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage stress. Don’t overschedule or overcommit. Take short breaks throughout the day.
- Make an appointment for a check-up, vaccination, or screening.
- Quit smoking.
Thanksgiving was just a few days ago ~ did you overeat? Are you worried with the upcoming holiday parties, Christmas and New Years and you ruining all of your hard work? Use these tips to help prevent overeating & feeling like you are facing an uphill battle.
- Snack first. Skipping meals before a big event can lead to unwise decisions at the table. Have a low-fat protein snack, soup or a few pieces of fruit, or eat healthful mini-meals throughout the day.
- Gift your host a light alternative, such as sparkling grape juice or a platter of fresh, colorful veggies and low-fat dip. Besides making a warm offering, it will give you a nutritious snack if there are no other healthy options.
- Make only one trip to the buffet table, but make it count by being selective. Choose only the foods you really want and keep your portions small. Often a taste will satisfy a craving.
- Drink more ~ WATER, that is! Try having one glass of water for every alcoholic drink.
- Try a non-alcoholic beverage such as sparkling water with a twist rather than wine, champagne or a mixed drink. Sparkling water fills you up and doesn’t supply any calories.
- Switch hands. This surprisingly effective trick works well when the menu is mostly finger foods. Holding your drink in your dominant hand forces you to focus more clearly on your food choices.
- Take your time. Chew slowly and savor the flavors – you’ll eat less and enjoy it more.
- Step away from the table. A social gathering is all about connecting with people. Leaving the area to eat encourages mingling rather than mindless grazing.
- Staying committed to your exercise routine helps lower blood pressure, raises your energy level and helps you maintain a healthy weight.
10 ways to help you maintain weight loss
- Do at least 30 minutes of high intensity interval training or 45 minutes of steady cardio
- Consistently eat a low calories diet
- Eat breakfast
- Weigh yourself once a week, same time, same day, same situation
- Maintain a consistent diet during the week & on the weekends
- Keep social ~ make sure you are taking some time for you, to rest, recharge & refresh!
- Restrict the number of times involving uncontrolled eating
- Prevent small regains from becoming larger gains
- Develop a strategy for emotional eating & overeating
- Make sure you are drinking water daily!
It’s normal to have days where you just don’t feel like exercising ~ You feel too busy, too much to do, too stressed and too tired. But you quickly forget how you feel after a workout & the amazing benefits an exercise routine gives you!
To Be Happier ~ Exercise has been shown to stimulate brain chemicals that induce relaxation and happiness.
To Reduce Disease ~ Exercise has been proven to reduce the risk of stroke, heart disease, cancer and osteoporosis and a great defense against type 2 diabetes.
To Look Amazing ~ Exercise firms your muscles, improves your posture and even makes your skin glow. It’s very rewarding when the people in your life start to notice your transformation.
To Be Energized ~ Remember that “high” you experience after a great workout? Exercise raises your endorphins, providing you with more energy throughout the day.
To Get Better Sleep ~ Exercise boosts energy levels during the day, but also wears you out. Recovering from a challenging workout will help you relax and reach a deeper level of sleep.
To Slow Aging ~ Regular exercise is one of the most effective ways to slow aging. As we age, our bodies lose muscle and bone and gain inflammation. When you exercise regularly, you will see a reduction in muscle & bone loss as well as inflammation!
To Reduce Depression ~ Studies have shown that exercise is able to reduce depression. So even if you don’t feel like getting up off the couch to sweat through a workout, remember that you’ll feel happier and more alive once you’ve done it.
To Feel Fewer Aches and Pains ~ When you strengthen the muscles around your joints you’re able to reduce joint pain and overall aches.
To Improve Memory ~ Exercise has been proven to improve memory and other cognitive functions.
To Enjoy Your Life ~ Whatever your passion is in life – your kids, travel, sports, significant other – it is all more enjoyable when you experience it in a fit and healthy body.
To Have Fewer Sick Days ~ Studies have shown that people who exercise regularly are 50% less likely to call in sick to work.
To Burn Calories while at Rest ~ Building your muscles through exercise means that you’ll be burning extra calories even while at rest.
To Be Confident ~ When you are fit, feel healthy and have energy, you demonstrate strong confidence.
Happy Halloween! The day we put our willpower to the ultimate test. Candy, sweets, treats, other sugary goodies ~ don’t let those couple of pieces of candy deter you from your goals! Here are a couple of ideas to help get rid of that candy:
1) Check to see if your dentist office participates in the buy back candy program http://www.
2) Bundle them up in small baggies & use them for goodie bags if you have an upcoming party to host
3) Package up that candy and donate it to the military.
4) Some of the candy you can freeze to use in some of your holiday baking (i.e. heath bars, hersheys, peanut butter cups, pieces, etc).
Try these tips to see if it helps keep your hand out of the candy bag!
Do you have that one person (or many) who seems to be always competing against you? Who can do the most, who can go the farthest, who can….. you get the idea? Do you let that drag you down or does it motivate you to work harder?
One thing to remember is that whatever you are doing, do it for YOU ~ no one else. This is YOUR journey, YOUR life. Don’t let someone else’s insecurities, jealously have a negative impact on you.
When you start letting that negative drama into your life, your mind, body & soul is impacted. The scale could go up, you feel tired all the time, you are eating whatever you see.
Keep your mind focused on your goals and let those haters find their own journey to focus on.
So I was successful at this before but I’m not sure why I stopped, or I should say started drinking coffee again. It is not necessarily coffee per say it is the “sugar loaded” coffee creamer. A year or so ago I switched to the natural coffee creamer ~ only nonfat milk, heavy cream, sugar & natural flavor. BUT my catch was that I would not use the recommended serving size (1tbsp), i was more like 4-5tbsp (I never measured it because I didn’t want to know :)) So while the ingredients might be natural the sugar is what was holding me back. I was noticing some side effects with the sugar intake that I decided in order to fully achieve my goals I needed to eliminate the coffee & creamer. My goal is to eliminate it Monday – Friday and allow myself 1 cup on both Saturday & Sunday, if I so desire.
When we identify what our weakness or crutch is in our healthy lifestyle, you have to address it in order to see the results; whether you want to admit it or not.
What is one thing you are holding onto? That one thing you can’t seem to break & you know it is hindering your weight loss efforts, your fitness goals, your overall health?
There are 8 weeks (58 days!) until Thanksgiving ~ are you going to be ready? It has been reported that the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is when most people gain on average 8-10 pounds. Don’t let yourself fall into the statistic!
Starting Monday, October 3rd, Evolution Fitness, will offer a 7 week Holiday Shape Up program. All done from the comfort of your own home!
What will you receive?
- Each day you will receive a 30 minute workout
- A nutritional guideline at the start of the program
- Daily motivational tips
- Guidance from a certified personal trainer and fitness nutritionist
- A private facebook group
What do you need?
- Exercise mat
- Pair of dumbbells (we can substitute if you don’t have any)
- Motivation & Consistency!
- $50 for the 7 weeks
Sign up today & get ready for the holidays!