Thanksgiving was just a few days ago ~ did you overeat? Are you worried with the upcoming holiday parties, Christmas and New Years and you ruining all of your hard work? Use these tips to help prevent overeating & feeling like you are facing an uphill battle.
- Snack first. Skipping meals before a big event can lead to unwise decisions at the table. Have a low-fat protein snack, soup or a few pieces of fruit, or eat healthful mini-meals throughout the day.
- Gift your host a light alternative, such as sparkling grape juice or a platter of fresh, colorful veggies and low-fat dip. Besides making a warm offering, it will give you a nutritious snack if there are no other healthy options.
- Make only one trip to the buffet table, but make it count by being selective. Choose only the foods you really want and keep your portions small. Often a taste will satisfy a craving.
- Drink more ~ WATER, that is! Try having one glass of water for every alcoholic drink.
- Try a non-alcoholic beverage such as sparkling water with a twist rather than wine, champagne or a mixed drink. Sparkling water fills you up and doesn’t supply any calories.
- Switch hands. This surprisingly effective trick works well when the menu is mostly finger foods. Holding your drink in your dominant hand forces you to focus more clearly on your food choices.
- Take your time. Chew slowly and savor the flavors – you’ll eat less and enjoy it more.
- Step away from the table. A social gathering is all about connecting with people. Leaving the area to eat encourages mingling rather than mindless grazing.
- Staying committed to your exercise routine helps lower blood pressure, raises your energy level and helps you maintain a healthy weight.