Are you looking to make 2017 a healthier year for you? For your family? Here are 6 ways to make those changes:
- Make healthy food choices. Grab a health snack on the go. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Be active. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park farther away and walk.
- Protect yourself. Put a helmet, sunscreen or bug spray. And make sure you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage stress. Don’t overschedule or overcommit. Take short breaks throughout the day.
- Make an appointment for a check-up, vaccination, or screening.
- Quit smoking.
Received this email recently & found it very fitting — it is from Marc & Angel (www.marcandangel.com/)!!!
You should never be too busy to smile!!!!
1. Smile at perfect strangers.
Don’t wait for people to smile ~ smile at them first. Talk to someone you don’t know: straight from
your heart; give them a compliment.
2. Pretend today is going to be a great.
Do so, and it will be. A great attitude always leads to great experiences.
3. Reflect on what’s good.
Appreciate all the good things in your life, no matter how small.
You already have some amazing things in your life, whether you realize
it or not. Take time every day, throughout the day, to thank life for all that it has given you, to
thank others for what they give you, to be grateful.
4. Use personal strengths to get things done.
Everyone possesses unique personal strengths. We all have different
talents and skill sets. The state of completion always creates a sense of achievement. If this achievement is based exclusively on your personal ability to get the job done, the psychological rewards are priceless.
5. Use your imagination.
How is it that we are born knowing how to enjoy life, and yet after learning all of the wonderful things we adults learn, we somehow forget how to have fun? It’s almost like we get dumber in this regard as we get older. The solution? Counteract the aging process with the full power of
your imagination. You don’t have to pretend bananas are rocket ships – although that would be fun – but try to imagine something that makes you smile at least once a day.
6. Create something.
Creation is a process like none other. Putting to use your innovative faculties and constructing something with your own two hands will leave you with an indescribable sense of wholeness. There really is no substitute for it. The only caveat is that it must be related to something you actually care about. If you are creating financial plans for clients all day and you hate it, then that’s not going to work. But if you can find something you love, and create something related to it, it will make all the difference in your life.
If you haven’t created something in a while just for the sake of creating, try it. You will not be disappointed.
7. Help someone else for a couple minutes.
In life, you get what you put in. When you make a positive impact in someone else’s life, you also make a positive impact in your own life. The more you help others, the more they will want to help you.
8. Share your lunch break with a close friend.
Get out of the office, away from your work and spend 30 to 40 minutes eating and socializing with someone you care about.
9. Get rid of one thing a day.
We have so much clutter surrounding us at any given moment and we’ve become so accustomed to it that we no longer notice how it affects us. If you start cleaning up some of that external clutter, a lot of internal clutter will disappear as well.
Choose one needless item each and every day and get rid of it. It’s that simple. It might be difficult at first, so expect some resistance. But after some time you will begin to learn to let go of your clutter tendencies.
Meditation is the art of focusing 100% of your attention in one area. The practice comes with a myriad of well-publicized health benefits including increased concentration, decreased anxiety, and a general feeling of happiness.
On a general level, meditation helps you slow down, accept the moment you are in and achieve a higher sense of presence. If you use meditation as a form of relaxation, it really doesn’t take long for you to start feeling the positive effects.
11. Avoid negativity and negative people.
Don’t belittle yourself and don’t put up with people who try to belittle you. You are as capable as you believe you are. There will always be obstacles, but if you think positive thoughts and seek solutions, you can accomplish what others say is impossible.
12. Enjoy the moment.
This moment is your life. Enjoy it.
Whatever you’re doing, regardless of the circumstances, pay attention and appreciate it. Reading, writing, talking with a co-worker, taking a shower, walking up stairs, eating, washing dishes, sweeping, etc. These small moments make up a huge portion of your life. They can be
enjoyed if you open your eyes and ears, and pay attention to what you’re doing. Happiness is found with steady awareness.
Thanksgiving was just a few days ago ~ did you overeat? Are you worried with the upcoming holiday parties, Christmas and New Years and you ruining all of your hard work? Use these tips to help prevent overeating & feeling like you are facing an uphill battle.
- Snack first. Skipping meals before a big event can lead to unwise decisions at the table. Have a low-fat protein snack, soup or a few pieces of fruit, or eat healthful mini-meals throughout the day.
- Gift your host a light alternative, such as sparkling grape juice or a platter of fresh, colorful veggies and low-fat dip. Besides making a warm offering, it will give you a nutritious snack if there are no other healthy options.
- Make only one trip to the buffet table, but make it count by being selective. Choose only the foods you really want and keep your portions small. Often a taste will satisfy a craving.
- Drink more ~ WATER, that is! Try having one glass of water for every alcoholic drink.
- Try a non-alcoholic beverage such as sparkling water with a twist rather than wine, champagne or a mixed drink. Sparkling water fills you up and doesn’t supply any calories.
- Switch hands. This surprisingly effective trick works well when the menu is mostly finger foods. Holding your drink in your dominant hand forces you to focus more clearly on your food choices.
- Take your time. Chew slowly and savor the flavors – you’ll eat less and enjoy it more.
- Step away from the table. A social gathering is all about connecting with people. Leaving the area to eat encourages mingling rather than mindless grazing.
- Staying committed to your exercise routine helps lower blood pressure, raises your energy level and helps you maintain a healthy weight.
10 ways to help you maintain weight loss
- Do at least 30 minutes of high intensity interval training or 45 minutes of steady cardio
- Consistently eat a low calories diet
- Eat breakfast
- Weigh yourself once a week, same time, same day, same situation
- Maintain a consistent diet during the week & on the weekends
- Keep social ~ make sure you are taking some time for you, to rest, recharge & refresh!
- Restrict the number of times involving uncontrolled eating
- Prevent small regains from becoming larger gains
- Develop a strategy for emotional eating & overeating
- Make sure you are drinking water daily!
It’s normal to have days where you just don’t feel like exercising ~ You feel too busy, too much to do, too stressed and too tired. But you quickly forget how you feel after a workout & the amazing benefits an exercise routine gives you!
To Be Happier ~ Exercise has been shown to stimulate brain chemicals that induce relaxation and happiness.
To Reduce Disease ~ Exercise has been proven to reduce the risk of stroke, heart disease, cancer and osteoporosis and a great defense against type 2 diabetes.
To Look Amazing ~ Exercise firms your muscles, improves your posture and even makes your skin glow. It’s very rewarding when the people in your life start to notice your transformation.
To Be Energized ~ Remember that “high” you experience after a great workout? Exercise raises your endorphins, providing you with more energy throughout the day.
To Get Better Sleep ~ Exercise boosts energy levels during the day, but also wears you out. Recovering from a challenging workout will help you relax and reach a deeper level of sleep.
To Slow Aging ~ Regular exercise is one of the most effective ways to slow aging. As we age, our bodies lose muscle and bone and gain inflammation. When you exercise regularly, you will see a reduction in muscle & bone loss as well as inflammation!
To Reduce Depression ~ Studies have shown that exercise is able to reduce depression. So even if you don’t feel like getting up off the couch to sweat through a workout, remember that you’ll feel happier and more alive once you’ve done it.
To Feel Fewer Aches and Pains ~ When you strengthen the muscles around your joints you’re able to reduce joint pain and overall aches.
To Improve Memory ~ Exercise has been proven to improve memory and other cognitive functions.
To Enjoy Your Life ~ Whatever your passion is in life – your kids, travel, sports, significant other – it is all more enjoyable when you experience it in a fit and healthy body.
To Have Fewer Sick Days ~ Studies have shown that people who exercise regularly are 50% less likely to call in sick to work.
To Burn Calories while at Rest ~ Building your muscles through exercise means that you’ll be burning extra calories even while at rest.
To Be Confident ~ When you are fit, feel healthy and have energy, you demonstrate strong confidence.
There is NO big secret to losing weight! It won’t happen overnight. There are no magic pills. There are no detoxes that will make you lose weight.
The secret is eating healthy foods, exercising at least 30 minutes a day, drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day, journaling your foods and being consistent! That’s it!
Seems like all you hear in the media is how to lose weight fast! So many different options to chose from, so many different quick schemes. The truth is while you may see a few pounds lost within the first couple of days, it is mainly water weight. And once you stop consuming your “quick weight loss product” you are more likely to gain the weight you lost plus some!
- Shoot to eat every 2 1/2 – 3 hours
- Shoot to eat less processed foods & more natural foods
- Shoot to have complex carbs, lean proteins & healthy fats at each meal.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day ~ shooting for cardio & strength training exercises
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
- Write down every bite of food and every drink EACH and EVERY day!
Do you have that one person (or many) who seems to be always competing against you? Who can do the most, who can go the farthest, who can….. you get the idea? Do you let that drag you down or does it motivate you to work harder?
One thing to remember is that whatever you are doing, do it for YOU ~ no one else. This is YOUR journey, YOUR life. Don’t let someone else’s insecurities, jealously have a negative impact on you.
When you start letting that negative drama into your life, your mind, body & soul is impacted. The scale could go up, you feel tired all the time, you are eating whatever you see.
Keep your mind focused on your goals and let those haters find their own journey to focus on.
There are 8 weeks (58 days!) until Thanksgiving ~ are you going to be ready? It has been reported that the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is when most people gain on average 8-10 pounds. Don’t let yourself fall into the statistic!
Starting Monday, October 3rd, Evolution Fitness, will offer a 7 week Holiday Shape Up program. All done from the comfort of your own home!
What will you receive?
- Each day you will receive a 30 minute workout
- A nutritional guideline at the start of the program
- Daily motivational tips
- Guidance from a certified personal trainer and fitness nutritionist
- A private facebook group
What do you need?
- Exercise mat
- Pair of dumbbells (we can substitute if you don’t have any)
- Motivation & Consistency!
- $50 for the 7 weeks
Sign up today & get ready for the holidays!
We all fall off the wagon from time to time but what matters is what we do when we realize it! Do we jump back on or do we let our old habits creep back in???? I’m jumping back on!!!!
Over & over I have struggled with what the scale has said or hasn’t said. But have made peace with it and know that it is JUST A NUMBER! I’m not a number, I am a strong, lean, healthy and powerful person! I don’t need to know what the scale says — that does not define how I feel (or how you should feel)! Look at the other factors — how do your clothes fit, how do you feel, how do your rings fit?
It has taken me a while to come to peace with my body and what I have accomplished! YOU TOO CAN GET TO THAT POINT – JUST KEEP PUSHING ON STRONG! Understand that you will have setbacks, but just get back on the wagon and take it one day at a time!!!!
Don’t let your healthy eating or exercising take a back seat and don’t take it for granted! That is how we lose control & go back to our old habits!!