Consistency is so important when we are trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Something will come up ~ kids have school activities, no time to make dinner, work, house, etc. BUT taking a few moments to plan ahead ensures that you remain consistent WHEN these obstacles come about.
Are you looking to make 2017 a healthier year for you? For your family? Here are 6 ways to make those changes:
- Make healthy food choices. Grab a health snack on the go. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Be active. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park farther away and walk.
- Protect yourself. Put a helmet, sunscreen or bug spray. And make sure you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage stress. Don’t overschedule or overcommit. Take short breaks throughout the day.
- Make an appointment for a check-up, vaccination, or screening.
- Quit smoking.
Have you been taking your measurements on a monthly basis but not really seeing much progress, despite all of your hard efforts? Well maybe you are measuring in the wrong spots.
Females should measure the following areas:
- Arm (bicep area without your muscle flexed)
- Chest (directly across your nipple line)
- Waist (directly across your belly button)
- Hips (widest point)
- Thigh (widest point directly below the groin area)
Males should measure the same areas but also include:
You should measure yourself once a month so you can see the progress you are making. Remember the scale may just be maintaining or even up a couple of pounds, but look at your measurements & see the real measure ~ body fat & lean body mass!
Have you been measuring correctly or all wrong?
Happy #leapyear and #leapday!
And it’s a Monday AND we are on the cusp of a new month (and spring is peeking it’s head in to ensure a new season is coming!).
We only experience a leap year once every 4 years ~ in my opinion, that makes it the perfect time to LEAP into something new today. Take a risk. Challenge your limits. Push for that thing you’ve been wanting… you’ve been thinking about…but you’ve been too reluctant to take the leap on!
I have a few things on my mind and today feel like the perfect time to push a little harder towards those goals and believe in my abilities to reach them deeper than before!
What is YOUR plan today?
We are all guilty of the never ending list of excuses ~ why not to exercise today, this minute, this hour; why not to stop eating the cookies or chips while watching a movie; why, why, why! We have all made them at some point; what an easy way to let ourselves off the hook! The primary reason we make excuses is because of FEAR. Fear of failure, fear of support, fear of time, fear of actually liking the change! If you want to lose weight & maintain a healthy lifestyle, you have to do away with the excuses.
Yesterday I asked Facebook followers, Evolution Fitness, what their biggest obstacle to weight loss is and received a lot of great responses. Here are their responses:
- Too much to do
- Food (beer, ice cream)
- Emotional Eating
The #1 answer to each of these excuses is PLANNING! We have to PLAN to eat healthier. We have to PLAN out our meals so if we are on the go with the kids we are not grabbing fast food. We have to PLAN our day to make sure we are not bored or mindlessly eating. We have to PLAN what we are eating and document it (in a notebook or a free app like MyFitness Pal or Sparkpeople). If you join either of these let me know so I can cheer you on!
Yes it takes work, yes it takes a little bit of time UPFRONT BUT in the end you will reap the benefits.
Here are a few things to do TODAY to stop the excuse vicious cycle:
- Identify your excuses
- Develop a plan to side-step your excuses
- Develop a No Excuse Contract
- Recruit a friend or family member to hold you accountable; better yet, have them join on the journey with you!
- When you feel like overeating, mindless eating, boredom coming on, go for a walk or call a friend. Just get OUT of the kitchen & away from the food!
- When you find you are too tired, tell yourself you are going to go for a 10 minute walk and see if you can build up your time every time.
- Most importantly, when you are on vacation, at a summer camp or just out of your own element ~ give yourself the opportunity to enjoy A treat but get right back on to your routine the next meal and get back to logging!
Everytime you find yourself wanting to make an excuse, take a step back and think how you can overcome that excuse!
YOU CAN DO IT!