Do you have a weakness for the holiday cookies, that special casserole, or that rich eggnog? The holiday season is filled with tasty obstacles that can throw your weight-loss goals for a loop.
The American Heart Association has these five tips to help you get through this holiday season without gaining weight:
- Be realistic. It’s no fun to be stressed out and trying to lose weight during the
holidays. Shoot to maintain your current weight.
- Shop smart. Celebrate the season with festive & healthy items ~ unsalted nuts, whole grain crackers, fresh fruit & vegetable platters, low fat dips, and fat free eggnog.
- Keep hunger in check. Have a light snack before going to a party so you won’t be famished and overdo it.
- Enjoy yourself. Eat your favorite foods, but in small portions. Go easy on high-calorie
beverages and be choosy at the buffet table—you don’t have to sample everything.
- Make time for exercise. It’s a great way to burn calories and lower stress. Get up a half hour early so you can fit it in. Walk a lap around the mall before gift shopping. Reconnect with family by making a holiday hike or other activity a new tradition.
Implement these tips to help with parties and other special occasions throughout the year too. If you do overindulge, don’t dwell on it ~ get back to your exercise and eating plan the next day.